What makes Wild Spirit Native Plants different from other native plant nurseries?
1. We grow all of our plants at the nursery. We do not have a wholesale supplier. We grow our plants from seed only, no cuttings or division.
2. We are concerned about the genetic diversity of native plant species and so we grow only straight species. No cultivars or nativars. While some cultivars may still benefit some insects and birds, there is the potential for cultivars to affect the genetics of the wild species population. If you are interested in gardening for wildlife, straight species will provide the most benefit.
3. We strive to grow plants that are truly native to Maryland. There are many nurseries selling plants that are not actually native to our state. And there is a lot of incorrect information floating around. Please see our resources page for a link to the Maryland Plant Atlas, which has the most accurate information regarding what plants are native to Maryland.
4. We grow our plants in an organic soilless mix composed of compost from an organic mushroom farm, wood fiber, coconut coir, rice hulls, and organic nutrients. See our resources page to learn why it's important to go peat, perlite, and vermiculite-free.
5. We offer "recycling" of our pots. Bring them back next time you shop - we will sanitize and reuse them.